Sustainable food in Malmö
The city of Malmö has established some very ambitious targets concerning the environment and sustainability for the next 10-15 years.
Food procurement is an important part of the impact the public sector has on the environment. For example, eating contributes to about 25 % of the greenhouse gas emissions from Swedish private consumption.
Policy for sustainable development and food
Malmö's policy for sustainable development and food was approved by the city council in 2010. The goal of the policy is that all food purchased should be organic by 2020 and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from food procurement should be reduced by 40 % by 2020, compared to the 2002 level, which was 13 360 ton CO2-equivalent.
With the policy we want to:
- Contribute to a sustainable Malmö with healthy citizens.
- Strengthen the importance of food in the City of Malmö´s own operations to increase the attractiveness of food.
- Work towards 100% sustainable purchasing in the City of Malmö.
- Ensure that the City of Malmö leads from the front and only serves sustainable and safe food when serving food at official functions and representation.
Sustainable food in Malmö's schools and pre schools
Watch these movies to learn more about the City of Malmö's ambitions to serve good, healthy and climate friendly food to all children:
- Sustainable food in Malmö's schools
- Sustainable food in Malmö's pre schools
Working with others
The city of Malmö is regularly involved in national and international projects. Two recent international projects are linked below:
Case study: Sustainable food for thought in Malmö