Malmö International School is an authorized school for the IB Primary Years Programme.
At MIS, the PYP is designed for students aged 5 to 12. It focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and in the world outside.
It is a framework guided by six transdisciplinary themes of global significance, explored using knowledge and skills derived from six subjects areas, as well as transdisciplinary skills, with a powerful emphasis on inquiry.
The PYP is flexible enough to accommodate the demands of most national or local curriculums and provides the best preparation for students to engage in the IB Middle Years Programme.
The IB Primary Years Programme
- addresses students' academic, social and emotional well-being.
- encourages students to develop independence and to take responsibility for their own learning.
- supports students' efforts to gain understanding of the world and to function comfortably within it.
- helps students establish personal values as a foundation upon which international-mindedness will develop and flourish.
The six subject areas identified within the IB Primary Years Programme are:
- Social studies
- The Arts
- Personal, Social and Physical Education
The pillars of the PYP framework:
- The Learner
- Learning and Teaching
- The Learning community
The curriculum in the PYP consists of six transdisciplinary themes. These themes provide IB World Schools with the opportunity to incorporate relevant and meaningful local and global issues into the curriculum. The six transdisciplinary themes are:
- Who we are
- Where we are in place and time
- How we express ourselves
- How the world works
- How we organize ourselves
- Sharing the planet
Read more on the Primary Years Programme curriculum
The Exhibition is an important part of the PYP for all students. In the final year of the programme, students undertake a collaborative, transdisciplinary inquiry process that involves them in identifying, investigating and offering solutions to real-life issues or problems. As the culminating experience of the PYP, the Exhibition offers students an exciting opportunity to demonstrate independence and responsibility for their own learning.