Malmö in figures
Malmö lies at the heart of the Öresund region, whose 3.9 million inhabitants make it Scandinavia’s largest labour market.
- Population of 322 574 on 31 December 2015
- Malmö is a young city: half of all inhabitants are younger than 35
- The average age of a Malmö resident has fallen by three years over the last two decades. Today a typical local is a 28-year-old woman or 30-year-old man.
- More than 160,000 people work in Malmö and new jobs are created in the city every day
- The largest economic sectors are retail and communications, finance and consulting and health and welfare
- The Öresund region has 3.9 million inhabitants, making it Scandinavia’s largest labour market
- 75.19% of the electorate voted in the 2014 municipal election
- The largest parties were the Social Democratic (32.88%) and Moderate parties (21.97%)
- 31% of Malmö residents are foreign-born
- 26,000 students attend Malmö University
- 25% of the Swedish and Danish populations lives in the Öresund region
- 15,100 commuters use the Öresund Bridge every day (2014)
- 70% of households are of one or two people
- 31% of Malmö inhabitants (25-64 years) have at least three years of higher education (2014)