Malmö – regional employment market
- Malmö has a high level of international accessibility through its closeness to mainland Europe and Copenhagen Airport.
- 176 030 jobs in Malmö 2016
- Half of Skåne's 10 000 new jobs in 2015 were created in Malmö.
- 67 800 people commute to Malmö every day
- Around 25 000 new full-time jobs in Malmö between 2008 and 2016
- Malmö's employment market employs 24% more people than the full-time workforce available in Malmö itself (Stockholm 35%, Gothenburg 23%)
- Urban industries dominate business life, e.g. services, retail, healthcare and education.
- Examples of enterprises with global functions in Malmö: Ikea, Mercedes, IBM and Perstorp
Malmö found it harder than other cities to recover after the recession in the early 90s. The number of employed people working in Malmö has grown strongly since 1997. The transformation from industrial town to city industries continues to this day.
As the graph above shows, Malmö has enjoyed strong growth in terms of full-time employment since 2009. Growth in the number of jobs is strong in the cities, and Malmö is rapidly catching up with Gothenburg.
Malmö is the economic powerhouse of Skåne, and as an employment market the region grows when businesses create jobs in peripheral municipalities.
The majority of new jobs are created in the towns. Between 2005 and 2015, the number of full-time jobs in cities grew faster than the national average:
National average: 13%
The population is growing faster than the number of jobs in Malmö
- Malmö lost jobs in the early 1990s.
- The job market first began to recover around 1998.
- In 2007, Malmö had reached the same level as in 1990.
- The population grew continuously throughout the period.