Start here - step by step

People who are new in Sweden will need to have contact with various public authorities.

The first thing you must do is to register as a resident in Sweden by joining the Swedish Population Register. You must do this in order to receive your personal identity number. You do not need to have registered or to have received your personal identity number in order to contact the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket).

Register in the Swedish Population Register and obtain an ID card from the Swedish Tax Agency

The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) can register you in the Swedish Population Register and issue you with a personal identity number. They can also issue ID cards.

After you have received your personal identity number

Renew your residence permit, reunite with your family, or apply for citizenship at the Swedish Migration Agency

The Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) is the public authority that assesses applications from people who wish to live in Sweden, those who wish to visit Sweden, those who wish to apply for Swedish citizenship and those seeking protection from persecution.

The Swedish Migration Agency can help you with the following:

  • renew your residence permit
  • register your right of residence
  • obtain Swedish citizenship
  • obtain travel documents
  • obtain an alien’s passport
  • extend your visitor’s permit

Advice over the phone
Telephone: 040-34 35 55
Telephone hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 13.00-15.00.
Wednesday 10.00-12.00.

Reception – contact
Telephone: 040-34 19 94
Telephone hours: Monday–Friday 08.00-12.00 and 13.00–16.00.

Reception – visits
Address: Föreningsgatan 7B, floor 3
Visiting hours: Monday–Friday 09.00–12.00 and 13.00-15.00.